Sunday, August 29, 2010

Angel Food Cake- a sneaky devil...


Out of the oven...in my brand new pretty red bundt dish....
Rather challenging to remove from the pretty red bunt dish....
Delish all the same...a success!
Last night I baked my very first Angel Food cake.  With the assistance of my boyfriend's very strong whisking arm, we created a base of fairly thick, and perfectly smooth batter.  Thank goodness for a pretty new red bunt cake dish, or I may have thrown the whole concoction aside, in what seemed a futile removal feat.  The batter, while whipped in to submission, stuck entirely to the inside of the pan, once out of the oven and set...but fear not...some melted butter upon the sides of a large spatula saved me!  Able to scrape the sides and edges, the cake made its escape with some scrapes.   Obviously some snags ripped through portions of the  cake, but the splash of strawberry-lime puree seemed to cover some of the blemishes.  A few sparse drizzles of sweetened dark chocolate sauce seemed to help, some, too.

This was a desert outside my norm...I tend to stick with chocolate, for fear that my baking skills, or lack thereof,  might go unnoticed as long as the taste is deemed worthy of eating.  This time, the risk was worth it...and I learned few things, on the way, entirely by accident:


  • Chocolate Baker's squares; some butter and about a 1/4 Cup of sugar blend beautifully- the high gloss adds a pretty tone to the chocolate...but....add some Buttermilk and BAM! you got yourself a low-gloss thickened chocolate sauce perfect for chocolate covered turtles, nuts, fruits, etc...the perfect consistency to KEEP from sliding from food, upon chilling.  (Add a smidgen of water, and you're back to high-gloss chocolate sauce).
  •  Beating an Angel Food cake batter into submission, by hand, a la metal whisk, is just as good as good as using an electrical mixer.
  • Adding lime juice to a strawberry puree is fantabulous.
Thanks, Dani, Max and as always, Sam-o and Dave for braving the unknown alongside me!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

absolutely beautiful!